Getting there! The first two pictures are the front yard. The vegetable bed is done. (I might mix in some regular potting soil, since it is pure compost at the moment). The cute windy path in the front garden is done. I decide to spread a thin layer of compost over everything in order to get some life into the soil.
In back we have a few hugelkultur mounds, which are logs covered in wood chips, leaves, then soil and compost. The wood decomposes over time into very rich soil. The mounds are planted with seeds which will eventually grow and hold the soil down. I used red and white clover, phaecelia flower, and, honestly, a few packets of microgreen seeds because I ran out of the other stuff and just needed a bunch of seeds to throw on them.
A hose is laying out a path in the backyard. I was going to dig it down and put woodchips in it, but I might just leave it as a grass path because I’m too lazy/focused on other things. A woodchip path is way nicer to walk on if some soil is removed before it’s laid, as opposed simply piling woodchips on top of the grass.
Found invasive jumping worm babies in several places. This was very gloom-inducing, but when I start to feel bad about macro-level things like uncontrollable invasive species, I remember to trust the mysteries of the universe, vow to do the best that I can with what is within my control, and then go think about something else. There will certainly be plants that survive an environment overcome by these voracious worms, and I will have to find what they are if I can’t find a way to control the worms.